In this article, you will get to know a little know citrus fruit called Finger Lime. I will also discuss Finger lime varieties, health benefits and you will also get yummy and healthy finger lime recipes so keep reading till the end.
What is Finger Lime?
Finger Lime is also known as caviar lime or Citrus australasica. The tiny packed juice bubble earned its name as Caviar lime or citrus lime.
This Australian native citrus is a thorny shrub and grows at about 2-7m.
As its name implies, they have a finger-shaped that houses a flavorful caviar-esque pearl. These individual pearls are bursting with a rich citrus acidic flavor.
Finger lime comes in different colors like red, green, yellow, brown, and black.
Finger lime tastes like any other regular limes but less sour.
Citrus australasica grows in the Australian states of Queensland and New South Wales.
Finger Limes has 5 common varieties as follows:
- Red Champagne: By its name, this variety is the red skin color with red pearls packed with sweet-tasting juice
- Crystal: This is the green-colored skin with green vesicles
- Crimson Tide: These are the dark brown colored skin packed with red pearls with a sweet flavor
- Pink Ice: These are finger lime variety with light brown skin and pink vesicles inside.
- Chartreuse: and if you are looking for a bitter finger lime, these are the variety for you. They have yellow pearls with a bursting bitter flavor inside.
Why is Finger Lime expensive?
Finger limes are expensive because it is seasonal. It has a short season but you can extend the shelf-life by freezing them or by making finger lime pickles.
Finger Lime Nutritional Benefits
Caviar limes are a good source of vitamin C, E, folate, and potassium.
- Boost Immunity
We all are aware that Vitamin C helps to keep strengthen our immune system and Finger Lime is a good source of Vitamin C.
2. Oral Health
Avoid oral disease such as scurvy ( Bleeding and swollen gums), a vitamin C deficiency.
3. Delayed skin aging benefits
Vitamin C encourages collagen production and its other nutritional contents are best in skin cell repairs making your skin healthy and young.
Beauty brands are even using Finger limes on their products.
How to eat and how to use finger lime in your dish
You can enjoy citrus caviar as is! Sliced at the center in half and squeeze the pearls full of bursting sour flavor of lime.
Add it to your cocktail to give a boost of flavor and enjoy your drink!
Top it on your salad and or beside your seafood dishes like oysters and other seashells.
And if you want to have kept them longer and stock up, then you can make a caviar lime pickle.
And oh, by the way, the Finger lime peel is edible, just like any other citrus, you can use the caviar lime zest to garnish or give a little kick of flavor to your pastries.
For those who want something sweet with a bite of sourness then you can make a Marmalade.
The sky is the limit on what you can do with this finger lime, be creative and explore these caviars packed with bursting sour rich juices.
Finger Limes Recipes
Guacamole with Finger Limes
Recipe from https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Guacamole-with-Finger-Limes_-Squeeeeeeee_-1065565
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 3 limes (finger)
Instructions: Combine the avocado flesh, salt, lime juice, onion, and two of the finger lime flesh in a small bowl. Stir well, mashing the avocado to your desired texture.
Put the guacamole in a serving bowl and garnish with the flesh from the third finger lime. Serve.
Grilled Oysters with Finger Lime Mignonette
Recipe from https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Grilled-Oysters-with-Finger-Lime-Mignonette-9233362
- 10 oysters (–12 –)
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shallot (minced)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (minced)
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper (minced, can also use a Serrano pepper)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 limes (– finger)
- 1 pinch salt (and pepper)
- Clean and remove the top shell (flat side) from oysters over a bowl to catch any oyster liquor that may escape. Add the liquor back to the oysters in the half shell and set aside.
- Cut finger limes in half and gently squeeze out the little citrus pearls and set them aside.
- Pour rice wine vinegar into a small bowl.
- Mince shallots, garlic, cilantro, and Jalapeno and add to rice wine vinegar. Hit with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir together to form the mignonette.
- Gently stir the finger lime citrus pearls into the mignonette.
- Prepare charcoal or gas grill to medium-high direct heat.
- Place oysters on the grill and grill until the liquid (oyster liquor) just begins to bubble, about 4 minutes.
- Remove oysters from the grill and place them on a platter.
- Spoon a small amount of the mignonette over each oyster-about 1-teaspoon.
- Garnish platter with lemon slices and sprigs of cilantro.
For other Healthy Recipes you can get your FREE KETO COOKBOOK here (Just pay for shipping fee)
Disclaimer: The article contents may contain affiliate link to help readers find related products or services that is on their interest. We receive commission or compensation through affiliate links WITHOUT extra cost to our readers.